Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Criticism

This morning Old Law's blog caught my attention, he mentioned one of his friend was feeling uncomfortable after reading most of my blogs are criticizing about shanghainese.

I replied my apologise, and sat back & give few minutes of thoughts about this.

I was imagining myself reading a blog, criticizing Malaysian's Malay laziness, MAS that has bad service and bad service attitude, TNB that says want to raise price but never raise the quality of their service, Maxis that monopoly most of the coverage in one of the IOI owened property but cannot give people broadband connection over there and forced them to take up a 3G that don't know will work or not, Malaysian police that molested suspected-chinese (still puzzled about the real nationality of that smooth skin lady) lady and thus came the popular phrase "lokap girl", etc etc... I was pretending I am a Malaysian, reading all these abroad (actually not pretending, I did read about them), and what's my reactions? I actually don't feel bad or angry about all these criticism, because they are all real. They did happen, and with rational sense, it is not difficult to recognize which side has 道理。I do not feel a single sense of anger towards people who mentioned about all these Malaysian 丑闻,becuase they are not 无中生有,it really did happen.

When I was first residing here, I need to get a so-called "yellow paper" from the local police here to prove that I really live in the shanghai address that I have given, until the real working visa is out. The shanghainese policemen were very nice to me. However, they mentioned something:" your country, the policemen, do not like us?" I asked him if he was referring to the "lokap girl" event, he said yes. I replied, "I feel very bad about it too, and I must apologized on behalf of our mistakes. But perhaps there are misunderstanding too, because some reports mentioned that the girl is not chinese chinese." The policeman then chit chat with me a while, leaving this topic totally behind. We had a great chat, and he said I can speak chinese very well (ok ok.. this is beside the point, hehe). I also praised his country is very "powerful", retail industry is booming, car industry is booming, everything is booming and people's life are getting better and better.

My point is, no country is perfect. sure got 丑闻。But, as a citizen, we should be proud of what the country achieved of course, but at the same time cannot 否认 there are still many things to improve on the ugly side.

Sigh... I guess my this blog perhaps will create some uneasiness on some china chinese again. OK, must 重申,I always criticise that people here are rude, don't line up, spit on the road whenever they like, push people around when walking, talk loudly, etc etc. All these are true for only 80-90% of the population here only ok. My colleagues are nice people, my shanghainese grandparents do not own any of the bad traits here too. So, perhaps is my luck, always let me see the 80-90% of the people with these bad traits - don't que up, push people, bad service, talk loudly, smoke in public, etc etc.

If you are the good 10-20% china chinese who feel uneasy about all my comment before about shanghai, then I am truly sorry. But hey, the incidents all did really happen, I never made up any of the criticizm over here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I too do agree with you Deisy, If there's no criticism , there will not have any improve at all! Look at our Polist department(malaysia) , the rasuah is still going on.. Ppl are still paying them in order to skip all the hassle of going to balai and this and that.. Polis which are off-duty hide some corner purposely to catch some ppl and take money from them .. and that, I've witness so many times, each time I wish I would have recorded the whole freaking conversattion and also the tag number of the so call "polis" they are the biggest Theif!! infact our local gangster are so afraid of them, coz they never ever follow by the book!! they are the bigger gangster of all gangster..

well, back to the point, yes, if there are area which need to be improve, just admit it k.. don't be shy.. laugh about it and learn to improve..!! denial is not a way to learn.

vincentwoo said...

Hi Deisy,

I must say the bad habbits is seen in Sydney as well. Although they are residents here for more than 10 years and their kids grew up here, their same trait like
1) Talk very loudly (even inside Sauna, Steam room)
2) Spilt inside a covered swimming pool (which is viewed as the most disgusting things to do by average Australian)
3) talk very loudly on mobile phone on a train.
4) squat beside the roads.
5) eat like never have food before for 2 weeks in a Buffet dinner

I will not say that malaysian/singaporean do not have the same traits, but I think it is only more "rampant" during the 70-80s. I will see this as a stage in development where every country will go through, just that we experienced it 10-20 years earlier.

I am glad to say the younger generation of the Chinese already "drop" those bad habbits, but we will only see more improvement after another 10-20 years.

Due to the uneven / different speed of the development between the rural and the coastal cities, it will take some time before the "hardware (wealth/ progress) " synchronise correctly with the software "human mentality / attitude" etc.

Vincent @ Sydney