Monday, November 14, 2011

What?!

Today, two things I discovered and my face was like the attached picture...

1) I owned some US stock, and they paid out some gei mun gai dividend. There's a 30% withholding tax on dividend because I am not US citizen. But because it is really gei-mun-gai, I bochap and tak hirau. Today I got some time and I googled and realized I should be paying 15% instead of 30%!! Apparently I missed filling in some form. W-8BEN. Wholly Mama.... I have received 4 times of dividend already and now only I realize this huge discovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) I Live Chat with an agent on my brokerage firm. Told him the situation. He said normally they won't missed asking client to fill in the form. But since damage has been made, he offers me a $2.50 rebate. I told him I don't think it is fair. I have been paid 4 times of dividend this year.. the difference is more than $2.50 (more like $3 something actually). Then the agent said he will rebate me with $4.95. This is the second time I have the startled expression... wah.... good wor... 做错就认,unlike in China, this kind of situation, the agent sure aji ajo one.

So I filled in that form and send it back to Ontario.. Hopefully my next dividend will be withhold at only 15%. Finger-crossed...

1 comment:

mun said...

Lucky that you found the info now - better late than never. The agent also is so nice to rebate you.