Monday, March 06, 2006

HSBC vs Citibank

2 of my many credit cards are Citibank, and HSBC. I am not gonna talk about others today because I want to make a direct comparison about the services offered by these 2 giant bank.

I owned Citibank since 2000, almost can say right after I graduated from UBC. (actually my first card in Malaysia was Hong Leong Bank). I have to say their redemption program used to be superior than others, until few years ago, other banks actually improved tremendously while this Citibank still LCLY, shaking butt and think they are still the dai-ah-goh. Every year I will call to cancel the card when annual fees is about to due (I still cannot understand why credit cards in Malaysia cannot be like those in Canada, where they beg you to have credit cards, and don't even talk about annual fees). However, every year after I faxed through the cancellation requestion form, they will call me 1 week after that to ask me to stay with them, and annual fees will be waived. So I thought "what the heck, I will stay 1 more year to see if you guys improve your customer service or not". So, after doing this for few years, I called them in 2004, and tell them "look, I am gonna cancel my card if you don't waive the annual fees. And since after I faxed through the cancellation form, you will beg me to stay with you, can you just skip this process, save your time and my time, and waive my annual fees right now?" The LCLY officer replied, "No ma'am, you have to pay the annual fees." So I do the same thing again - cancel, fax, and then received thei call with sweet lady's voice, "please stay with us.. we have a promotion going on, your fees will be waived". So sick of them. But because of curiousity and no harm and no cost to stay 1 more year. I stayed with them until now.

HSBC on the other hand, I only become their member 1 year ago. Annual fee is dued in March. So I called them, asked them, can they waive my annual fees? The officer, politely, straight away checked the system, checked my payment history, spending pattern, and right away answered, "ma'am, I will waive for you right now as you are our valued customer. Good payment history and high spending pattern" (because last year buy a lot of stuff before wedding time. haha). I was quite impressed with his authority, not like the tikus citibank officer, and respect his 果断. So I also applied 2 other supplementary cards for my parents and make up my mind I will not stay with Citibank anymore. Hah! But still curiousity knocked on my door again. So, I called up Citibank again, since my card is due in March too.

Me: "I would like to check, is my annual fee due this month?"
Officer:" yes."
Me: "since I am with Citibank so many years, do you think I can have the annual fee waived?"
Officer: "afraid not ma'am"
Me: "... fine. then fax me the cancellation request form please. thanks"

I tell myself, even they call me and ask me to stay with them again, I am gonna asnwer "stop wasting my time and please see how HSBC treat their loyal customer".

Even a local bank like Hong Leong Bank is doing better than Citibank in customer service part!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

U cacat women..

Elizebeth D.L. said...

cacat meh?

This is called rational thinking and logical response.

;)

vincentwoo said...

I totally agree with you.
Citibank Sucks now. they think the own the world. Screw them, I switch to HSBC now.