Tuesday, September 11, 2007

chicken & duck talk

Last night going home, we in a cabbie.

(purple words are in Mandarin. Dirty green words are in Shanghainese language)

me, "pls bring me to abc road, near xxx mall"
Mr. Cabbie, "oh, use the elevated highway and exit at xyz road right?"
me, "yes use elevated highway, but exit at zzz road, to avoid the jam in xyz road."
Mr. Cabbie, "oh, ok. Can I turn out from here? It seems blocked."
me, "yes, make U-turn here. I also don't know what they renovating the road here."

My hubby looked at me with 0-0 eyes..
I said "what??"
Then he said (in cantonese) "why you duck talk and he chicken talk back to u?" (different languages)

Then I realized I totally can understand Mr. cabbie's shanghainese language oh!!! Yay!!! 6 months of persistence in watching shanghainese language tv series is really paying off!!! (the tv series, each day 1 hour, 8-9pm, the series speaks in shanghainese, but got chinese subtitle)

This means one of my 2007 personal goal is achieved - to be able to understand at least 80% of shanghainese language.

Happy ^_&

ok, now, one of my 2008 personal goal, is to be able to speak 30% shanghainese language daily. This is much much much more difficult... would I be able to do it? :

7 comments:

Purple~MushRooM said...

I also want to learn!!! But most of my colleauges say no use learning. Everyone speaks putonghua now wor.

Elizebeth D.L. said...

old people and those kanasai customer service personnel still speaks shanghainese lah.

Learn better. they want to cheat u also difficult.

But I never tell my colleagues I can understand 80% already. I want to listen to their secret. muahahhaa...

Anonymous said...

Is it really really different than mandarin? I think only the slank is different.

Elizebeth D.L. said...

jam, it's totally more than just slang is different.

like purple mushroom's entry, in a store, if you just say " i just want to have a look", shanghainese language is "jiu ku ku jiao"

So... do you still think it is just the slang issue?

Elizebeth D.L. said...

one more, "cannot be done"
shanghainese language, "ve-le-se"

geez.. I am enjoying this. Hahahaha.:p

Unknown said...

Me here even worst, although those Arabian using English to communicate with us, but we hardly understand what they said, their Arab slang too strong, same like I talk to Japanese, I really can faint.

Eileen said...

wah lau yeah... u can understand 80%???? Keng keng... salute... I tried learning but wanna cry while learning. Should have given you my tiny dictionary of Shanghainese language before I leave. Wakaka... I only can catch some shopping phrases :P