Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pre-CNY dinner

Well, we are hosting a pre-CNY dinner on Feb 9, for a group of 6 (including us).

I haven't had a clue what to make as meal....

Can you see I don't sound enthusiastically?? Not that I don't like to host, but the initiative is not by us... one of the friend lah, she wanted so much of this dinner, but she is sharing the apartment with her housemate, so she can't host it, and ask us.

How to say no leh? If our apartment is a BIG HOUSE, with long table, fire place, big kitchen, I really don't mind... but our apartment is so small... But I am the type that not good at saying NO... bad for me I know...

OK, let's get the positive energy together, can you tell me what should I make for a group of 6, with CNY symbols? :)

I am definitely making the shuijiao. Made 2 plates last weekend (counted, it was 46 pcs), and happy with the result. Yummy... I had minced meat, 韭菜 (hate cutting it small small piece though), mushroom, prawns, a bit of 酱油, 盐, that's it. For the source I have 麻油,醋,酱油. Bui loves the source made by me. I love it too. hahaa... If he made the source, the taste is very awkwardly different but he has all the ingredients right. Really don't know why... We ate 1 plate, and froze the other plate for next consumption. :p

I want to attempt making the 芋头糕, although this has nothing to do with CNY, just something I saw online (recipe) and want to try making again. I made one in 2010, BIG FAILURE that time. But the recipe this time is a bit different... so... Must try again this weekend. hahaha...

Picture later eh?;)

Please give me some ideas what you guys eating at CNY... I can't remember what we ate differently but sometimes my mom will cook 海参 (which I don't know to cook......:(( sigh), duck, prawns (this I can make, learnt 奶油虾 from my mom this trip, but need to find curry leaves?), fish, and a soup (I can make 咸菜鱼片汤?). But sound so plain hor if I make like this.... ideas?

3 comments:

mom said...

简单就好。让水饺为主题,人多可大家一起包,再来一道蒸鸡;放些药材(其实红枣,金针花即可)。红烧虾,如何?最后一碟青菜。呵呵!够开胃吧?

mun said...

If the sauce is made from using the same ingredients as you used, then it should taste the same, right?

Your shuijiao sounds yummy! How about making a vegetarian yee sang from fruits?

Your friend who asked you to host this dinner should help you to cook and come up with the menu since she is the one who wanted it in the first place.

Elizebeth D.L. said...

My that friend always says she is busy...

I will share my 芋头糕 pic later. It's a success!!!:) But I am not going to make it again next week, so much work of cutting stuff into tiny pieces. I need to recoup.