Monday, January 21, 2013

Alarm Clock

After enduring my choh-loh usage, my dear alarm clock has been certified dead.

Sigh...

This alarm clock has served me from Shanghai of 5 years to the first two years in Vancouver. I bought it from Ikea at Shanghai. It looks like this: http://olioboard.com/items/5312-ikea-ticka-alarm-clock-white

Sweet right?

This alarm clock has character. Like if you want it snoozed, you just have to place your hand lightly on it. And it stopped ringing and snoozed for 5 min. I am not sure if it is just my unit, or every unit is like that. Because it doesn't function in this way when I first bought it.

But, sometimes it will give you surprises. You snooze it for like 5 or 6 7 times, it will stop bothering you. And when you become conscious again, you feel like killing it, throwing it down the window and smash it to the smallest pieces you can because by then you are freaking scarily late at that moment!!

So, this has been a love-hate relationship... for quite a number years. Until it stopped ticking last month... I first thought it is battery issue. I changed battery, it ticked for a few hours, and it stopped again.

So... there goes my buddy:(

I shopped at Ikea here, they do not sell this anymore. Yes, I am such a boring person. I want the same alarm clock. I was sad, frustrated, and I have been relying on my iPhone for waking me up for the last many many many days. I hate it. It's not supposed to be an alarm clock of course....

I shopped at local stores here. The alarm clock is either very HUGE like a box (because there's radio function in most of them), or it is very very very sibeh boring like those you can find from pasar malam when you are a kid (I say this because I haven't stepped foot in pasar malam for the last 10 years I think). So, I am so out of option here..:(((

I got a simple alarm clock from Ikea at the end. It looks like this: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70154065/

And I wanted to return it. The button for snooze and stop is too near to each other, at the back of the clock and the design makes you confused which is which especially when you are only 5% awake... and the alarm clock sound is too boring, too loud, and too hard. Not mellow. Like when you hear it, it makes you feel gun cheong, blood pressure rise especially when you have to make yourself awake enough to figure out which button is snooze, and which button is stop.

ARRRRrrrrrghhhhhhhh....

I will never find 'my' alarm clock :(

What kind of alarm clock you guys using??? Give me some idea please... I am so sick of shopping for alarm clock :(((

What a devastating experience. And why all alarm clocks are either functionally too complicated with radio, iPhone plug, dual alarm functions, big in size, or too boring like those 20 years ago alarm clock type??  And why when we purchase alarm clock, we cannot test sound the alarm sound?? To all alarm clock manufacturer out there, can you please don't make your alarm sound so harsh and so blood pumping and so loud? :(((

I miss my old buddy:(((((

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have been using this Sony Radio clock ever since we moved in to our house http://www.sony.com.my/product/icf-c205

I put the alarm as switching on the radio every morning at 6am and I won't snooze it even though I still on bed. The music or DJs speaking will keep me half awake most of the time.

mun said...

If I need an alarm clock, I use my hp as my alarm clock but most of the time I wake up on my own without using one. Can you just ask your husband to wake you up?

mom said...

:D,:), :( 可怜的闹钟!

Elizebeth D.L. said...

Jennifer, maybe I should buy that one. The only thing not good I can see now is it is a big box. Boring square box :(

I was in a sweet dream this morning, and the alarm sound "push" me up with the dit-dit-dit-dit-dit sound. Makes my heart beat so fast... I hate it.

Jennifer said...

Sony has many types of radio clock and they have options to choose for dit-dit sound or radio as alarm. If I'm going to get new one, I would want to buy this http://www.sony.com.my/product/icf-c717pj - got projector to show the time on the wall so no need to twist neck to look at time. Hehe!

Otherwise, I would agree with Mun to ask your hubby to just wake you la. Mine one always kick me to wake me up. Haha!