Friday, February 04, 2011

Nothing is impossible

The more I deal with banking in this country, the more I have a funny feeling. The bank here is so "flexible"... Do you know that if someone wrote you a cheque here, say your name is Jessica Liu, and your sister name is Jenny Liu, and your enemy name is Joanne Liu, if the cheque is payable to "J. Liu", all of you can cash the cheque. Soooo freaking flexible!  And even sometimes there's spelling mistake on the payee name, the cheque can still be cleared, without any question.

However, sometimes things are very none sense. They will get freaked out over something that we malaysian or china bank won't even ticked a bit. For instance, if you try to bank in a cheque for another person, say you are Jason, and I Elizebeth try to bank in a cheque for you at your bank. The cheque is your name. The freaking bank will kiah-si and asked you provide your ID for them to key into the system, for security reason. WTF? I cannot understand this. And if you try to bank in a cheque for soemone else using ATM, you think also don't need to think. IT IS NOT DO-ABLE! Period.

And then, sometimes different bank will tell you different rules. Like here, Coast Capital Savings Bank will say, all wiring funds need the actual person to sign on the paper at the branch. While HSBC Bank will just fax over a form, and you can sign it, and email it back. No need to go to branch. Simple. So, different bank, different standard.

One more incident, this Royal Bank of Canada, very sibeh chuen. Got one time, my boss because tam the rebate feature that the credit card has, so, he wanted to make a big donation via his credit card, to earn points mah. The problem is, his card credit limit, let's say is 30,000. However, he has used up 10,000 limit as of that particular day, and the donation is 30,000. Meaning he will go over his limit loh. So, instead of go over limit, what he did is he wrote a cheque of 20,000, asked me go bank it in for him, and only after the cheque went through, we only do the donation transaction. I went to the bank, got ready my ID because they sure ask my ID because the account is not mine (see? give them money also like sibeh difficult), and they look see look see, wasted my 20 minutes, check with their boss, and came back to me, "sorry, we cannot accept this cheque at the moment." I haven't even ask a single question, she continues, "I cannot tell you the reason.". I was damn angry that time. And I swear, even if I have few millions next time, I won't deposit a single cent into RBC! Anyway, to make the story more funny, I went back to office, boss told me they called him and told him why, it is because he only used up 10,000 limit that time, and it was before the credit card statement due date, that's why he cannot bank in a 20,000 cheque more than what he has spent (which is 10,000) to clear the balance. THE BANK HERE IS SO SI-KAP-PANG! (si-kap-pang, is a teow cheow phrase that my hubby taught me to use, means "square", in this context, means stubborn, no brain)

I think I can be a bank guru and write a book about banking services in Canada. Muahahahaha....

OK, ngam ngam chum chum whole post... forgot the objective me want to blog today. 恭喜发财!!!兔年行大运!!!身体健康!!!青春常驻!!!:))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai~!

christine

mun said...

恭喜发财!So how has your CNY been so far? Eat any CNY cookies?

Your story about banks in Canada is very interesting. Do tell us more about life in Canada. :)

舞者 said...

Anything whose name starts with Royal is synonymous with Royal Pain in the Ass.

Elizebeth D.L. said...

christine, mun - gong hi gong hi. hehehe:P

old law: really, they are really a pain the ass. Unprofessional too lah.