Sunday, July 04, 2010

Learnt new vocab

I am constantly learning new vocabulary here (shy shy...):

I thought all 地毯 is called carpet. I didn't know the smaller ones are called rug until now.

I thought the small drawer next to bed is called drawer, but it is actually called "night stand".

I thought all tables are called table, i didn't know there's coffee table, tv stand (yah i considered this table too), and dining table.

And then, I thought chairs are chairs. I didn't know there's a type called "ghost chair", and I thought it is very scary. Then only I realized ghost chair is just those chairs very plastic feel, almost transparent, maybe that's why it is called ghost chair.

And then, I didn't know 烤 is broil. I didn't even know the word "broil" existed before this. Luckily we brought a dictionary over. So I checked it out and realized I have the chicken "baked" instead of "broiled" for past 5 minutes, so, I quickly change the setting to broil and have the wonderful broiled chicken. haha.

I have to say I am a bit lost here still. I really miss Shanghai a lot. Miss the food, miss the cheap books, miss the cheap stuff, miss the taobao.com, miss amazon.cn, miss sooooooo many things. wooo...wooo...... Miss communicating people in pure mandarin. sei mei?

6 comments:

limpeh said...

wow... i didn't know too...amazing..so maybe this is the best chance for you to brush up your 'england' to become really pro huh..
allow you to take sometime to get used to it, very soon you will love canadian stuff and gradually stop missing SH...

Elizebeth D.L. said...

Eric~~~ Jay says he loves it here so much more than China wor.. He said I have become a shanghainese liao.

ghost chair said...

we have a great community of asians in the chicago area, you'd be welcomed for sure!

Elizebeth D.L. said...

thanks 'ghost chair' =) Not sure if I have any chance to go Chicago in near future of this year.

Today's new vocab: Chives - 韭菜;Parsley - 香菜.

I plan to plant them on my balcony. I am quite into gardening lately.... haha.

mun said...

There is a big mandarin speaking community in Vancouver. I am sure you could join the community and speak all the mandarin that you want with them. Learning is a lifelong process so have fun getting to know more local Canadian English words. 加油!

limpeh said...

really? i must say Jay's adaptability is great, not only China and Canada, I think if you put him in Papua New Guinea, he will like it also..haha..