Thursday, September 02, 2010

Love Hate Relationship

I am bored. I am going to apply for the volunteer job from canadian red cross. They asked me to do criminal record check because the volunteer job will include contacting the children who are in disadvantage or vulnerable.

I discussed with my fren Hosea. He said criminal record check need $$$ one... and not cheap. I said, "wah.... I free labor also kena pay meh?? I dun believe. And if they want me pay, i no do volunteer liao."

Hosea asked me call the RCMP directly... i very very very very scared... immediately in my mind I picture those mata we have back home... the impatient face, the "bagi kopi duit" face, the "don't ka-ka cau-cau" face. I very hesitate to call. But, I don't want to go all the way there to find out one simple answer "if i do volunteer job and they want me provide criminal record check, do i have to pay or not?"

I called... the automated machine put me on hold for a while, which made me more nervous -- "means they are busy leh... and they will answer this phone and realize it is a small matter like this and waste thier time, will they get mad??? oh dear... should I hang up?"

Just when I was tempted to hang up, a lady officer answered the phone. I told her my question, she answered very professionally (not rushing me to hang up) and explain very detail. Apparently if I am doing this for non-profit organization and if they gave me a letter, I won't have to pay. And she even advised me what to bring to do that. Wow... I am so motivated after the phone call. I love Canada! hehehe...

Even with this criminal record check done, it does not guarantee me a volunteer job. You see... this country is so lurn si... no job, even if it is a volunteer job, you need to be on wait list loh.

Love Hate Canada.

1 comment:

mun said...

Criminal record check - very interesting - does it only cover your activities in Canada or worldwide? It is good that they are being careful when it comes to dealing with children. Anyway, you can always do volunteer work with The Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation branch in Vancouver:

http://www.tzuchi.org/

Main Office (Vancouver)
tzuchi@tzuchi.ca
8850 Osler St. Vancouver B.C.